Friday 28 September 2012

Not interested

As most of my friends are aware, I am single. Not single, as in "desperate". Or single, as in "needs to be with someone to feel complete". Single, as in "I'm not concerned with having to find someone to be happy". It's just how it's always been, and how I feel it'll always be. I've never understood people's obsession with needing someone. If you have great friends, isn't that enough? I'm not one for physical attention, for many reasons. That's not to say I don't have the same basic instincts as everyone else, I just don't feel the need to listen to them. Am I less of a person, for not "wanting" someone to share my every day life with? I've grown up, basically alone. It's the only life I know.

"But, don't you want to be with someone?", or "how can you enjoy being alone, that's not normal." These are the most common questions people ask me. I'll never deny that there are times when I feel excrutiatingly alone, but I'm more inclined to just let life happen. If someone comes along that actually became interested in me, sure I'd like that. But, my point is, I've never felt the urgency or desire to actively seek someone out. Am I different? Aren't we all? Am I abnormal? Yes, and rather proud of it. Everybody has something about them that others find strange.

I've always felt somewhat disconnected with the rest of society. Maybe I'm just a coward, afraid to have fun and actually live. But, then again, I know many people with partners and children, that don't seem like they're enjoying their lives, any more than I am. Maybe I'm denying myself a great future, but we all have our own paths to walk. Mine just seems to be single-file.

No comments:

Post a Comment